How to Deal with GaslightingJan 03, 2021
In this episode, we're digging into gaslighting. If you haven't heard of gaslighting before, it's defined as:
"Gaslighting is a form of emotional abuse that's seen in abusive relationships. It's the act of manipulating a person by forcing them to question their thoughts, memories, and the events occurring around them. A victim of gaslighting can be pushed so far that they question their own sanity."
If you've ever been in a situation where someone was accusing you of something that you really don't remember doing or saying, or they're totally exaggerating something you did or said and making you doubt your own judgement of reality, you're likely being gaslit.
It's a very unhealthy and damaging experience, because the more the abuser leads you to doubt yourself, the less confidence you have, the weaker you become, and the more susceptible you are to further gaslighting, and the cycle continues.
If you think you're experiencing this, you are not alone, and not all hope is lost. Because you are reading this or listening to this podcast, you still have the strength within you to get out. You intuitively know something is wrong and you're looking for answers. Trust your gut and keep following this path. I'm right here with you, and so are many other girls waiting for you in the private Facebook group!
In this episode, we cover:
- What is gaslighting and how to recognize it
- Example situations of gaslighting you may find yourself in
- When you are most vulnerable to gaslighting
- The psychological reason for why people gaslight others
- How to deal with gaslighting in a safe way
- Things to avoid doing when someone is gaslighting you
Follow and Work with Melissa
- The Back to You Academy is officially closed, but you can still work with Melissa one-on-one! Click here to view services or reach out via email: [email protected]
- Direct Message Melissa on Instagram, @themelissaleger
- Join the VIP Facebook group